Lowlands, St. Lucy
246.367.8375 /367.8376
IgnatiusByerPrimary@mes.gov.bb
A BRIEF HISTORY OF IGNATIUS BYER PRIMARY SCHOOL
The Ignatius Byer Primary School represents the amalgamation of two schools: the Clement’s Infants School and the St. Clement’s Junior School both of which were located at the St. Clement’s St. Lucy.
The St. Clement’s Infant School was opened in 1891 with Mr. W. Byer as Head Teacher and Rev. G. Elkins as Supervising Minister. In 1902, the school was converted into an all age girls school with Ms. Florence Miller as Head Teacher.
During 1954 the school was changed from as all girls into a Junior School, with the Infants and Seniors going to the former St. Clement’s Boy’s School.
Further re-organization occurred in 1957 when the Infants returned and the school catered to children from 5-9 years of age.
With the establishment of the St. Lucy Secondary School, the school once again became an Infant School and the Juniors attended the sister school.
The St. Clement’s Junior School was founded by Reverend H. Skeete who served as priest from 1840- 1889. He opened the school in the carriage house of the St. Clement’s Vicarage. The first Head Teacher was Mr. B. Hurley. He was succeeded by Mr. Robert Johnson who was at the time Sexton of the St. Clement’s chapel. It was during his leadership that the school was moved to the St. Clement’s location. The school was then a Mixed Primary School.
In 1902, the school was converted to an all-aged Boys School. Sometime afterwards the school became an all-aged Girls School.
In 1954 the school was again re-organized into a Mixed School for Infants and Seniors.
All of the other pupils were housed at the St. Clement’s Infant School. In 1957 the school was again re-organized as a Senior Mixed School.
In September 1971 the school; underwent a further change – this time becoming a Junior School for children 7 to 11 years old.
In April 1996 the St. Clement’s Infant and Junior School’s were amalgamated in a spacious new building on its present site at Lowlands, St Lucy under the leadership of Mrs. Wavanie Clarke. The school was officially opened on May 10, 1996 by the Honourable Mia Mottley, Minister of Education.
It was called Ignatius Byer. Catering to students from ages 3 to 11.
THE SCHOOL CREST
The school’s crest is comprised of four symbols contained in individual squares.
They are:
Each symbol represents an aspect of man’s being:
spiritual (hands), intellectual (book), social/emotional (Trident) and physical (figures in motion).
All of the symbols are then embodied in a complete circle which represents a holistic approach to the pursuit of excellence.
The crest was designed by staff member, Mrs. Angela M. Smith, and officially drawn by Mrs. Eunice Trotman, a teacher of Christ Church Boy’s School.
SCHOOL MOTTO
Striving for Excellence at All Times
MISSION STATEMENT
The school is committed to providing quality education for all of its students.
SCHOOL SONG
School days are thought to be the best
That we will ever know
So we’ll remember well, this place
Our school is where we grow
Our teacher show us great concern
And teach us all they can
Trying their best to help us learn
As we, our future plan.
Chorus
At Ignatius Byer Primary
God has been our strength
In work and play we learn each day
To strive for excellence
Verse 2
This place is where we learn to build
Our characters and dreams
With self-control our minds are filled
Our hearts with self-esteem
We learn to love our fellow man
More with each passing day
The quest for knowledge has begun
And we are on our way…
Chorus (repeat)
Music composed by Mr. H. Griffith
Lyrics by Mrs. S. Hood & Mrs. J. Brome & Mr. H Griffith